Week 2 – “Campfire Pitches”

After an initial discussion in the previous week on what we may want our project to be for this semester, we were asked to then pinpoint and define what we would be creating for this semester and the process we would take to achieve this. To help present this in week two we were asked to follow a set of questions that would help us to define the project, of which we would then present in small groups as “campfire pitches”. My project idea is as follows:

Summary

For this semester I would like to create a series of short animations that show my progress in motion graphics. I will then take still images of these to be printed into a booklet.

From these images I would like to use augmented reality (AR) to bring the printed animations to life on a phone, this will show my development and understanding of AR.

Throughout this process I would show my research and development via a blog, where I will make weekly updates on the process of motion graphics and augmented reality. As well as research into current projects that are relevant and successful. From this I will then be able to create a Research and Development file to be submitted alongside.

Who the concept is targeting and how will it meet their needs and expectations

The concept is mainly targeting my own personal development in my understanding of the two softwares, if completed correctly it will be a great piece to add to my portfolio and to show to employers.

If I was to apply to a business that is experimenting with motion graphics, augmented reality, and design then this project would be a great way for me to receive positive feedback from them.

Pushing My Creativity and Ability

This project will push my creativity and ability as I will be using softwares that I have only used in short spans. It will allow me to explore them in greater detail, and with enough patience and time I will be able to improve my skills and abilities with them.

In this project I will have to come up with animations that are going to be fun and impressive to watch, both visually and technically. I will do this by looking for inspiration of projects that currently exist, as well as follow tutorials on how to use the software at a professional level.

Pushing The Subject Area

I believe this project will push my subject area as it is taking two individual programs and placing them together.

Collaboration

I do intend to make this project by myself as it will push my abilities in the subject field. However I may ask for guidance on certain steps of the production process from people who are more advanced with the software’s, such as tutors or fellow students.

Conclusion

Overall, the feedback that I got from this project idea was positive and supportive, I was encouraged to put a lot of focus into how will I create the augmented reality piece that will allow me to platform my animations. It was also suggested that this project may only need one semester to complete, if I were to span this over both semesters there may not have been enough work for me to do. I took this as a positive idea as it would allow me to focus on and create something completely different for semester B.